To ensure sustainable, safe, secure, clean and efficient water transport for the benefit of stakeholders through effective regulation, coordination and oversight of maritime affairs.
To be a leading maritime administration transforming Kenya into a globally competitive nation.
The Authority’s core values include:The Authority’s core values include:
- 1.Customer Satisfaction
- 3.Creativity and Innovativeness
- 4.Transparency, Integrity, Accountability and Professionalism
- 5.Commitment to sustainable environmental development
- 6.Adherence to the Bill of rights on gender equity, patriotism and Human rights
Key Functions of the KMA include to:
- 1.Co-ordinate the implementation of policies relating to maritime affairs;
- 2.Advise Government on the implementation of international conventions and treaties;
- 3.Undertake and co-ordinate research, investigations and surveys in the maritime field;
- 4.Discharge flag and Port State responsibilities in an efficient and effective manner;.
- 5.Develop, co-ordinate and manage a national oil spill contingency plan for both coastal and inland waters;
- 6.Maintain and administer a ships register;
- 7.Coordinate Search and Rescue efforts in partnership with other stakeholders;
- 8.Enforce safety of shipping and compliance with construction regulations for safety;
- 9.Conduct regular inspections of ships to ensure maritime safety and prevention of maritime pollution;
- 10.Oversee training, recruitment and welfare of seafarers;
- 11.Conduct investigations into maritime casualties including wreck;
- 12.Regulate inland waterways shipping